Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sometimes People Make Me Proud

In light of the last post, I would like to point out something more positive:

Retired faculty of UNC Chapel Hill offer to teach courses and write grants for free in an attempt to mitigate the effects of budget cuts.

I don't go to Chapel Hill, but I found that very impressive. I think it sets an excellent example that I hope many other universities will follow. I also read how (can't find his name now) the basketball couch from Arizona State is taking a pay cut, and I found that endearing as well. I would like to see the chancellor of my university take note of stories like these, especially if that rumor about the upcoming massive layoff of nontenured professors is true.

I just read an article (can't find the link now) saying how it's unfair to make Jim Calhoun the face of capitalism to feed our recession aggression. My opinion is he brought it on himself by responding in such a condescending and aggressive manner a fair question (even if you think he was "sandbagged"). I hope he loses his Nike endorsement.

Anyway, I am off to engage in happy activities like updating my Ipod, figuring out the island, and not studying for my grammar midterm.

No comments:

Post a Comment