Monday, April 13, 2009

The Dentist Wants Me Dead

So this isn't my mouth, but it might as well be. My bottom wisdom teeth are completely sideways. And my dentist won't pull them because he's afraid he will hit the nerve that goes through my jaw. So I have to drive for an hour and a half tomorrow to go have a consultation with a surgeon who may or may not pull my teeth before my insurance runs out and may or may not still hit the nerve in which case I will lose feeling in my face!!!

I hate the dentist.

And, to top if off, I got an e-mail from my department head asking if I would be okay with presenting my thesis to my department faculty at the restaurant where I work WHILE I'm working! Apparently, he thinks if he is bringing business to the restaurant my boss won't mind letting me off for 20 minutes during the dinner rush to come present my paper, or (his alternate plan) I can just present WHILE WAITING TABLES. He seems to not understand that a). we only have one server per shift, b). presenting a paper is stressful enough without having to do it in front of your coworkers and customers and c). my boss probably doesn't want a member of her staff presenting a paper on Satan in the middle of her restaurant. We live in the fucking Bible Belt.

I guess I'm old fashion enough to think academic work should be done in an academic sitting. My department has always been pretty informal, but in my opinion, presenting a thesis in a restaurant (especially while I'm working) is crossing a line. Not to mention degrading as fuck.

"My paper covers the development of Satan in Judaism and its implications for the Judeo-Christian tradition, and what can I get you to drink today?"

Audio Obession: Be Your Own Pet- The Kelly Affair

1 comment:

  1. that same type thing happened to me with my wisdom teeth. it was really the easiest procedure ever. but also crazy exoensive. the benefits are well worth it. i put it off until i got an infection and THAT was the worst pain ever. and i had to wait tables. i actually had to tell someone that if they wanted to know the specials then they would have to go outside and read them.

    on the school/work divide. i couldn't agree more. once my department brought a job candidate into the restaurant and then insisted that i sit down at the table and talk to them about scholarly things. while i was in the middle of a dishwashing shift. i smelled so bad. it was totally demeaning.

    ReplyDelete